Thursday, 28 July 2011

Week One - An introduction :)

I remember the first time I joined Facebook, I had no idea how to use the site, let alone did I think it was all that useful... That is until I left high-school, more and more of my old school friends joined and it became the only way to stay in touch. Friends would use the excuse that they don't use their phones, or can't afford to get credit, so to orgainise anything it was by commenting on someone's wall or to create an event. Facebook is like an addiction, every day I find myself checking people status updates, and even their check-ins!

In today's lecture it was interesting to hear, but not really a surprise that Facebook was the high priority on everyone's list as a 'new communication' medium. And without fail, an exercise we did in class (a survey of who in class has Facebook, a Twitter account, an iPhone and so on) proved this - everyone has an account!

Facebook is after all, the way we know - quite scarily - what so and so is up too and who did what on the weekend. It could be said; that Facebook is the way we stay connected to people we wouldn't originally. Without Facebook in my life, I would not know if my brother is dead or alive! He sometimes refuses to pick up his phone and lives quite an isolated life style; but without fail he is posting on Facebook everyday of the week! So in that respect Facebook is a helpful communication medium. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment