Thursday, 4 August 2011

Week Two Tasks

Part Two
How I use new communication mediums to communicate with family and friends:
Since the very beginning I have been using ‘new communication mediums’, I don’t really know a time when I haven’t – obviously when I was a young child, but who really remembers those years.
I think new communications is like a progression for everyone in a way. I mean first there is the use of computer games, my primary school favourite – tetris and even ‘Age of the Empires’ (haha) – the exploration of the internet for school projects (Google) – you can actually find useful stuff on there! Then it’s the instant messenger as a teenager – who didn’t have an MSN!? And who would be doing their homework over going on MSN for a chat every night!? A Highschool student who uses My Space religiously, talk of who had the best profile was always on the agenda. Finally, you become older and more computer savvy and ditch the likes of MSN and My Space and get a Facebook – well it is the trend isn’t it?
Trends I find play a big part in social media and communication contexts - why someone chooses to go on a site or get an iPhone - sometimes it’s all about the look of things, who has the most friends on Facebook or who has the iPhone 4 over the iPhone 3, and god forbid you have a brick for a mobile! So I guess in my case, friends are the main influence as to why I use Facebook or have an iPhone, I feel as if I would be out of the loop if I didn’t, how would I be able to communicate properly? It’s not like I sit at home all day on the computer, but to see someone I organise it over Facebook or just flip a text their way.
It’s all about word of mouth, you hear someone talking about the latest gadget or what someone has discovered on the internet and you find yourself coming home and going straight on the computer to find that site, or take yourself to the shops and investigate ‘what an iPad is’.
//When it comes down to it, I guess you just have to be conscious of what is potentially is out there on cyber space. It’s scary to think that young girls who think they are talking to young boys on the internet are actually talking to sexual predators. I have always been careful on who I speak too and what I have shared on the internet – I don’t want information about myself or pictures ever coming back to haunt me! My Facebook has been made private, so even people I have met once can’t add me, unless we have a mutual friend in common or they have been given a link to my site. I don’t leave any of my information or photos - just anything!- as public use and everyone I choose to accept as a friend on Facebook I know.
Another potential danger is the fact that Facebook can collect information about you just by what you share about yourself online. I see adverts trying to appeal to me about things I may like or groups I should join, my own ‘personalised social advertising’ (http://www.facebook.com/policy.php). This is based on what I have liked previously or on other groups I have joined. I guess you just have to be smart and choose wisely on what you share and who you share it with – a big NO to street addresses!   


Part One:
A video relevant to the study of communication: I chose this video as it predicts the future of 'New Communication.' It explores how rapidly technology can change, and what different things may potentially happen (Google buys Microsoft, Amazon buys Yahoo). But we must all remember that things can grow and change in ways we can't even imagine!

An interesting application (website) that allows me to use the web more effectively is:
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_9261_use-photobucket-website.html

This website helps me understand how to use Photobucket and how to photo share on the internet. It even has eHow Videos (free!) that shows you detailed directions on how to create an account, how to locate and upload photos, and even tag friends who are also on the Photobucket website.

I also came accross other websites in my findings - a lot like this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/online-sharing-social-networking/how-to-use-photobucket-to-save-pictures-online.html - but they did not have in-depth detail or a clear how too.

eHow Videos are the most interesting analytical tool, as it is not just a worded description on how to use Photobucket, but something you can easily grasp and learn by watching a video!

No comments:

Post a Comment