Thursday, 22 September 2011

Week Nine Tasks

Part Two:
From today's lecture what I found interesting was the idea of politics of the internet - CyberPolitics. CyberPolitics governs (Internet Society) what type of political activities that can occur on forums and what type of information can be posted on the internet - by bloggers and even gamers. CyberPolitics is something which already exists on the internet, is already prevalent. However this is a big difference between eDemocracy and CyberPolitics - eDemocracy is where the role of the internet exists in the real world, and happens outside the internet. It can cover anything from political campaigning on the internet and how the internet can help the government to raise awareness, even people's own use of the internet to criticise and reveal mistakes made by the government.  
What I also found interesting was the idea of Free Speech and Censorship on the net. In his article, 'The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it', John Gilmore aks us to question if free speech is a basic right. In Australia we aren't given the right to free speech, unlike America who has the "constitutional right to free speech".  Another interesting concept is the idea that free speech and censorship on the net (by the libel case), is much like a newspaper. It could be said that 'Mass Media' is one source which is given to many receivers, like a journalist writing an opinion piece to his readers. Likewise, when someone decides to write a 'Letter to the Editor', his opinions will be published and cannot be retracted. This is similar to the internet, where once something is uploaded, it can stay there forever. "You cannot retract anything once it has been disseminated".
References:

Part One:
My essay topic is: Does the extensive use of computer/video games have an adverse impact on the health of young people. What are the most recent papers? Clarify what both sides of the argument claim and only then offer your reasoned opinion based on facts..
When I read David Becker's article, 'When Games Stop Being Fun', I was mortified learning that people could really have a gaming addiction - "The game almost ruined my life," said the network engineer in southern Indiana. "It was my life. I ceased being me; I became Madrid, the Great Shaman of the North. Thinking of it now, I almost cringe; it's so sad" (http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-881673.html). This article lead me to further information on Dr. Marissa Orzack, who is the founder of the Computer Addiction Services. On her website, it states that there is Clinical Psychiatric News reports on increasing complaints related to computer use. "At many colleges and universities, counselors and Deans of Students report increases in inappropriate and excessive computer use associated with rule infractions, student failures and academic drop-outs. Lawyers find that compulsive computer use can be a major factor in divorce". However Dr. Marissa Orzack also states that like any addiction this one is treatable (http://www.computeraddiction.com/index.htm).
I feel that I relate to this topic as my generation is the most technological savvy and I see people around me, friends included, that are engrossed with computer and gaming.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment